Del Norte Shawl
Inspired by the mountains of Northern New Mexico, this shawl uses texture, ratio and geometric space to create a subtle play of light and shadow. Although the pattern is best suited for fingering, sport, or dk it can really be knit in any weight of yarn because it is based on ratios. In order to knit this pattern as written, it is best to use a kitchen scale; however, instructions are included and support is available if you do not have access to a scale.
- One skein fingering, sport or dk yarn (at least 100 g of fingering yarn, or 120 g of sport or dk yarn is needed) in main color. Accent color is optional.
- 40 in (100 cm) circular needles: US6 (4.0 mm) for fingering, US7 (4.5 mm) for sport, US8 (5.0 mm) for dk, or size required to reach gauge.
- 4 stitch markers.
- Kitchen scale.
Gauge (In stockinette stitch, unblocked):
- Light Fingering: 28 sts = 4 in / 10 cm
- Fingering: 26 sts = 4 in / 10 cm
- Sport: 24 sts = 4 in / 10 cm
- DK: 22 sts = 4 in / 10 cm